Dr. Stokes works in the areas of elder law, estate planning, probate administration, and family law. Family law and elder law clients are often faced with a variety of emotional situations. She presents a calm, helpful and supportive demeanor as she handles their immediate needs, while patiently explaining procedures.
Dr. Stokes was born in a military hospital in Torrejon, Spain. As a military brat, she spent the 15 years Spain and Italy. She is fluent in Spanish. Her experiences growing up in different cultures allowed her to see how different cultures view families and treat the elderly. This, in part, inspired Dr. Stokes to focus her law practice on elder and family law. She also volunteers her time as an attorney for the Guardian ad Litem program.
While a student at Stetson University College of Law, Dr. Stokes received three Book Awards – an award for the most outstanding student in a class in the areas of Professional Responsibility, Interview and Counseling and History of Western Law.
Prior to attending law school, Dr. Stokes worked as a paralegal for 10 years. She compiled and analyzed information and drafted pleadings and correspondence. She also assisted with all aspects of Stokes Law Firm’s law practice including in investigation, strategy development, and trial preparation related to personal injury claims, criminal defense, and family law cases. Before falling in love with the law, she earned a PhD from the University of Florida and was a college professor.
Primary Practice Areas
- Estate Planning (Wills, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Advanced Directives)
- Guardianship proceedings
- Family Law
- Stetson University College of Law, Juris Doctor
- University of Florida, PhD, Romance Languages and Literature
- Cleveland State University, MA, Spanish
- Ohio State University, Bachelor of Arts, Spanish.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Florida Bar Association
- Member, St. Petersburg Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Book Award: Professional Responsibility (Ethics), Stetson University College of Law
- Book Award: Interview and Counseling, Stetson University College of Law
- Book Award: History of Western Law, Stetson University College of Law
- Presidential Award: in recognition of outstanding achievement and contribution to the University, University of Florida.